Sunday, September 23, 2007

C25k: Week 9, Day 3 -- Graduation!

Today, with a run through the park, I wrapped up this go-round of C25k. Go me! It sounds funny to say it, but graduating from C25k is just as meaningful, to me, as graduating from high school, or college, or law school. I'm really pleased with the goal I set for myself, and with the fact that I was able to achieve it. Now, the trick is going to be continuing on and not hurting myself this time.

I figure I should take this opportunity to reflect on how this time through the program was different than my first time. For one thing, I didn't lose any weight this time through. Then again, I'm only 6 pounds above my goal weight. When I started the first time, I had 30 pounds to lose. So, on the whole, I'm pretty content on that front. As I continue running and my distance increases, I'm sure I'll shed those last few pounds.

Another difference has to be soreness. This time, there really wasn't any. I didn't ice after runs, because I didn't feel the need to. The day following a run, I felt fine. I suspect this is a sign that I could add another day to my running schedule. In fact, I think I am going to do just that: I'm still vacillating between doing the "One Hour Runner" versus Hal Higdon's "Spring Training for Novice Runners," but I think I'm leaning toward the latter. It includes runs on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays, a Saturday walk, and a Sunday long run. I really like the fact that it uses both Saturday and Sunday, since I much prefer to exercise in daylight. The thing I don't quite understand, yet, is what to do if I miss a day. Do I just skip it? Or do I shift everything over by a day?

1 comment:

  1. Dan:

    Congrats on "graduating"! I started running 4 years or so ago, and honestly the hardest part is the beginning. Going from 3 miles to 6 miles in a run, or 6 to 9, or whatever...is about a million times easier than going from not running, to running. I wouldn't worry much about the 6 lbs...it's important to lose weight, but you may be losing fat and gaining muscle mass right now. The net is that your weight may stay the same, but your BMI is changing and getting healthier. Anyway, congrats once again!

    Jim

    ReplyDelete